Proposal to host an Electromagnetic Induction Workshop (EMIW)
A proposal must come from the whole electromagnetic induction community in one country or be a joint application from multiple countries. We will not accept multiple proposals from a single country. The Division Committee now accepts proposals from countries who have previously hosted an EMIW.
The proposal should outline the following:
- Location: We prefer to hold the workshops in small communities, in order to have a workshop atmosphere that promotes interaction between all participants (scientists and students) outside the formally scheduled events.
- Dates: Most of the previous workshops have been in July and August but the proposed dates are at the organizer's discretion. Previous meetings have ranged from June to early November. The dates should not conflict with other major meetings.
- Costs: Affordable registration and accommodation fees should be developed so as to allow significant participation by students and scientists from developing countries.
- Internal transportation from nearest international airport, including estimate of cost
- Registration (full, student, retired and accompanying)
- Accommodation (including reasonable accommodations for students)
- Average daily living costs
- Logistics: We need to know whether the facility you are proposing is suitable for the workshop.
- Size of conference room
- Size of poster room (all the posters should be up throughout the whole workshop)
- Space for commercial exhibits from sponsoring companies
- Information on the proximity of the different venues and the accommodations
- LOC: List of Local Organizing Committee (LOC) members with affiliations and roles
- Possible local funding
- Statements of support, support letters from host organization(s), national colleagues, funding agencies.
- Other relevant information
The oral presentation of the proposal should take less than 15 minutes and will be followed by questions from the division.
Once the proposal is accepted, any major changes to the proposal, such as a change in the LOC chair or a significant change in the location of the workshop (different city or town), will require the approval of the division.
The chair of the LOC of the successful proposal, or their delegate, is expected to present a more detailed planning proposal to the EM Division at the next EMIW, and to provide updates at the Division Business meetings at IAGA and IUGG Assemblies.
For your reference, follow these links for a list of past and planned workshops and recent IAGA/IUGG assemblies.