CALL FOR PROPOSALS TO HOST THE XXVII ELECTROMAGNETIC INDUCTION WORKSHOP (EMIW) IN 2026
It would be useful, but not necessary, if groups decided to submit a proposal, to inform the Chair in advance of their intention.
The proposal will be presented orally at the first Division Business Meeting at the 2022 EMIW. After the presentations, there will be open discussions among all the workshop participants. The proposals and these received comments will be considered carefully by the Division Committee members when the committee makes the decision. The decision of the committee will be announced at a meeting before the end of the Cesme workshop.
A proposal must come from the whole electromagnetic induction community in one country or be a joint application from multiple countries. We will not accept multiple proposals from a single country. The Division Committee now accepts proposals from countries who have previously hosted an EMIW.
The proposal should outline the following:
- 1. Location. We prefer to hold the workshops in small communities to create a workshop atmosphere that encourages interaction between all participants (scientists and students) outside of the formally scheduled events.
- 2. Dates. Most of the workshops to date have been held in July and August, but proposed dates are at the discretion of the organiser. Previous meetings have been held from June to early November. Dates should not clash with other important events.
- 3. Costs. Affordable registration and accommodation fees should be developed to enable significant participation by students and scholars from developing countries.
3.1 Internal transportation from nearest international airport, including a cost estimate.
3.2 Registration (full, student, retired and accompanying)
3.3 Accommodation (including reasonable accommodations for students)
3.4 Average daily living costs
- 4. Logistics. We need to know whether the facility you are proposing is suitable for the workshop.
4.1 Size of conference room
4.2 Size of poster room (all the posters should be up throughout the whole workshop)
4.3 Space for commercial exhibits from sponsoring companies
4.4 Information on the proximity of the different venues and the accommodations
- 5. Excursion
- 6. List of Local Organizing Committee (LOC) members with affiliations and roles. Please take care of gender balance
- 7. Possible local funding
- 8. Statements of support, support letters from host organization(s), national colleagues, funding agencies
- 9. Other relevant information
The oral presentation of the proposal should take less than 15 minutes and will be followed by questions from the division. Once the proposal is accepted, any major changes to the proposal, such as a change in the LOC chair or a significant change in the location of the workshop (different city or town), will require the approval of the division.
The chair of the LOC of the successful proposal, or their delegate, is expected to present a more detailed planning proposal to the EM Division at the 2024 EMIW in Beppu, Japan, and to provide updates at the Division Business meetings at the 2023 IUGG Assembly in Berlin, Germany and at the 2025 IAGA Assembly probably in Lisbon, Portugal.
For your reference, the following list contains past and planned workshops and IAGA/IUGG assemblies.
|EMIW XI||1992||Wellington||New Zealand|
|EMIW XV||2000||Cabo Frio||Brazil|
|EMIW XVI||2002||Santa Fe||United States|
|EMIW XVIII||2006||El Vendrell||Spain|
|EMIW XXIII||2016||Chiang Mai||Thailand|
|IAGA||2017||Cape Town||South Africa|
|EMIW XXVII||2026||* Your Proposal *|